Sunday, August 21, 2011

Victor Ortiz confident of beating Mayweather

Mayweather vs Ortiz - WBC welterweight champion "Vicious" Victor Ortiz is not mincing words when asked about his upcoming bout against undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. “I’m going to destroy him, little by little, round by round, until the knockout,” Ortiz. The 24-year old champion said that he will be very patient when he faces off against Mayweather on September 17, and plans to break down Mayweather little by little.

"The simple truth is, Mayweather has the difficult fight, not me," Ortiz said.

Although undefeated through 41 fights, Mayweather has historically been troubled by southpaws like Ortiz. Ortiz is also claiming that Mayweather has already lost certain matches, but these losses were not reflected on his record.

"I think Mayweather has a few defeats already, but they aren't on his record," Ortiz said. "“Jose Luis Castillo and Oscar de la Hoya beat him."

"There have been a few (fighters) who had him hurt," he added.

"He was never one of my favorites," Ortiz said of Mayweather, who at 34 years old is 10 years older than him.

"Mayweather is not someone that I had respect for when I was a kid... I knew that the day they put me in against him, I would finish his (undefeated) run."

Ortiz's trainer Danny Garcia believes that the age difference and Mayweather's inactivity will be big factors come fight time.

"Once you pass 30 to 33 years old, you start to decline," Garcia said.

"We're not thinking about his 16 months of inactivity, but obviously, it’s going to affect him," he added. You can Watch HBO 24/7 Mayweather-Ortiz on the link provided.

Mayweather vs Ortiz