Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mayweather vs Ortiz face to face

Mayweather vs Ortiz
Unbeaten boxing star Floyd Mayweather said he will end a 16-month layoff on September 17 when he fights countryman Victor Ortiz for the World Boxing Council welterweight title. Mayweather, 41-0 with 25 knockouts, has not climbed into the ring since May of last year when he won a unanimous 12-round decision over Shane Mosley but he announced on his Twitter page that he was ready to return.

"My fans have been waiting long enough.

Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz. Sept-17 2011 for the WBC World Championship," Mayweather tweeted. Southpaw Ortiz, 29-2-2 with 22 knockouts, claimed the WBC crown last April with a unanimous 12-round decision over previously undefeated Andre Berto of the United States.

"I am ready to return to the ring and give my fans a fantastic night of boxing by fighting the best out there," Mayweather said. "For me, that is Victor Ortiz.

"He is the current champion and an extremely talented fighter who showed amazing skills, and heart, in his last performance. At this stage of my career, these are the challenges I look for, a young, strong, rising star looking to make his mark in boxing by beating me.

"Ortiz is just going to be another casualty, the 42nd one who tried and failed. Trust me. I will be ready."

Countered Ortiz: "I know he will be ready, but so will I. I'm a world champion for a reason and I am not going to let go of my title any time soon."

Mayweather may be using Ortiz, who is a big southpaw like Pacquiao, as a tune-up for a possible match with the Pacman. Choosing Ortiz, a young and powerful offensive fighter, Mayweather is preparing himself for the “offensive machine” that is Manny Pacquiao. Ortiz won the WBC welterweight title last April via a unanimous decision against Andre Berto. It was a coming out party of sorts for Ortiz, who gave Berto his first loss.

The Mayweather vs Ortiz pay-per-view telecast, which begins at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT, will be produced and distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View® and will be available to more than 92 million pay-per-view homes.  The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD.  HBO Pay-Per-View®, a division of Home Box Office, Inc., is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry.  For Mayweather vs Ortiz fight week updates just visit this blog.